As much as I stand by my picks at Saratoga, I am horrible at Santa Anita, if you follow these picks on the few races, go easy.
Race 5 – THE PROVIDENCIA – Grade 3 – TURF
- 2 – QUATTROELLE – Baze/Mullins. Has lost to others here rather easily. Won't win, but exotics.
- 4 – GOING GLOBALv- Prat/D’Amato. Lethal rider on turf with a horse that is third start of the form producing 82 Beyers in both. No speed in this race and that may give this horse some trouble when ready to run. Still the one to beat.
- 6 – CLOSING REMARKS – Rispoli/Gaines. 81 Beyer last out was a nice effort. I can see improvement off that. This is the lone speed (if any) and if this one is out alone it may sneak the win.
Race 6 – THE SANTA ANITA OAKS – Grade 2 – Dirt
Not a great betting race with only 5 horses.
- 5 – BEAUTIFUL GIFT – Johnny V/Baffert. Horse is improving with each race; 69, 75 and 87 Beyers. She improves off that last one and this will be tough to beat. Riders sticks all the way across the country to ride. WINNER!!!
- $20 Triple 1,5 over 1,5 over 2
Race 8 – THE SANTA ANITA DERBY – Grade 1 – Dirt
Quite a few maiden winners going up against big horses. Never a good bet to take maiden winners up against any winning horse, but having to face Graded level winning horses is very very tough. With that being said, I am shying away from several off the bat.
- 1 – ROMAN CENTURION – Hernandez/Callaghan. I think this one will enjoy the extra distance. Last two races had traffic trouble in deep stretch, but kept on running.. Will be rolling late. Top 3 at a nice price. I am going to use it to win in a few wagers.
- 2 – DREAM SHAKE – Prat/Eurton. Third race of career. Last race was off the maiden win, facing winners and faded in the end to get 3rd. She should be better this race, but still shying from the win. Top 3.
- 7 – MEDINA SPIRIT – Johnny V.Baffert. Monster Beyers of 94 and 95 last two efforts. Concern is the flattened out Beyers. I prefer to see horses improve with each race, not maintain. The extra ⅛ of a mile may hinder this one more than help.
- 8 – LAW PROFESSOR – Desormeaux/McCarthy- This is maiden facing winners. I know I said do not touch, but may want to throw in exotics. I think the stretch out will help this horse who won at 1 mile going away while rate and closing. Deep exotics.
Race 9 – THE ROYAL HEROINE – Grade 2 – TURF
- 2 – TAPWATER – Mike Smith/Mandella. Second race off the layoff. Runs a 1:33 mile to win by a neck. Should improve off that effort just a bit and that makes this one a top 3 contender.
- 3 – CHARMAINES MIA – Prat/D’Amato. A pair of 99 Beyers off the layoff. This one is prime and ready to run. Ran a 1:33 mile winning by 1. She wont have it this easy today with the horse prior.
- 6 – LAURAS LIGHT – Cedillo/Miller. Second race off the layoff just fading at the end at this distance. Should improve second out. Will be on the front end looking to hold on. Exotics only.
Race 10 – THE EVENING JEWEL – 150K – Dirt
- 3 – FI FI PHAROAH – Mike Smith/Solis. Second time starter who won in debut. Daughter of American Pharaoh may take off this start. Can rate and close and shows solid bullet work for the second start. Use in all wagers.
- 6 – DYLAN'S WILD CAT – Gutierrez/French. Turf to dirt angle. Horse won career debut on dirt at 5 1/2F. Comes in second and third next two races at 1 mile. Turf to dirt to tone him up and cut him back. Distance and stamina will be no issue here. Top 3. Big price
- 9 – PRAY FOR MY OWNER – Baze/Glatt. Maiden winner vs. winners. 76 Beyer last out shows some moxy. Won't have it as easy this time. I would not be shocked if this one was off the board and bounces off the 26 point jump in Beyers, still need to use in all wagers.
Race 12 – THE ECHO EDDIE – 150k – Dirt
- 2 – LETSGETLUCKY – Rispoli/Koriner. Speed of the speed here. Maiden winner vs. winners. Do not count this one out. Top 3.
- 3 – THE CHOSEN VRON – Mike Smith/ Krujac. Came in second in the Grade 2 San Vincent last out. Class of the field, but can be beat in my opinion.
- 7 – GOOD WITH PEOPLE – Hernandez/Miller. Another turf to dirt form here. Speed and closer and cuts back. This one will be tight for the sprint. Top 3.
Good luck and thanks for horse racing with Dietz!